10.14.2011

"In sickness and in health"....but mostly sickness

Life has continued to be just as busy as the last time I posted. School has increased in workload and I am spending way more of my time than I would like to researching the tax code. Yes, such an exciting major. But weirdly, I don't completely hate it. I guess I made the right choice :)

On, the bright side recruiting season is finally over and now I just have the decision of where to accept my internship. There was a huge sigh of relief once I realized that all this hard work I have put in the last few years and will continue until my graduation are not for nothing. I'll have a job when I graduate!

Lately in our home there has been a lot of sickness and more sickness. Nathan came down with an awful fever/sore throat a couple of weeks ago. I did my best to avoid it with excessive hand sanitizing and wiping every possible thing Nathan touched with Clorox disinfecting wipes. If I get sick, I don't get better for weeks because my busy schedule doesn't give me a lot of time to sleep and recover. Plus I had a couple of office visit interviews that I had to be on my game for. I thought I had missed it but just when he started to feel better, I got the same sickness with a vengeance. Try giving a presentation in school when you can't stop coughing, sniffling, or sneezing. I'm quite proud of the fact that I made it through :) Needless to say, we have been eating a lot of soup in our house lately.

We also lost my good, ole car a couple of weeks ago. That car has been through a lot, including a high school wreck, a deer collision, and even a few incidents with ducks......haha don't ask. So I have been driving around a mini-van and we are trying to figure out what to do about a method of transportation.

A few other things have happened lately in addition to sickness and the loss of my car that have made the statement, "When it rains, it pours" completely applicable to our life. And for those who know me well, I am a stresser. I stress about money and I stress about the future and I stress about....well everything. But I definitely married the right kind of person to mellow me out a bit. I was talking to a friend today who gave a great analogy of life that relates a lot to me and Nathan. Life is a road and in the past, on one side of the road, are rocky mountains you have already made it through. The other side, the future, is a straight drop off cliff. If you start veering too far to the left you are living in the past, which is never a good thing. If you start veering too far to the right, you become anxious and stressed. So ultimately we need to stay in the middle of the road to live a happy life. Live in the present and enjoy life as it is. I tend to be a person who veers strongly to the right. But my husband is amazingly talented at staying happy and in the middle. I noticed that there were a few talks this last General Conference that gave this point as well. This is an area that I have always been trying to improve on and now that I'm married to Nathan, I think I may finally be making progress. I am blessed to have someone as grounded as he is to constantly remind me that Heavenly Father is watching out for us and will make sure everything works out for our good as long as we are doing our best to follow Him. So regardless of the fact that I have felt like every possible little thing that could go wrong has gone wrong lately, I have to have faith that everything will work out. There's my little feel good thought for the day :)

In between work, school, and homework we do occasionally find time to have some fun. A few weeks ago we went to Color Me Mine. For those who don't know, this is a ceramic painting studio. Nathan picked a monkey and I painted a Volkswagen bug piggy bank. I am not even remotely artistic or creative and I found this experience way more frustrating than it was enjoyable. Nathan on the other hand spent hours articulately painting every inch of his monkey. It was the funniest and cutest thing. Ultimately though, I have learned I can never go back because my perfectionist personality makes my art hideous. I start with a cute idea but I take it too far, and then it becomes overwhelming and too much. I gave up about 20 minutes into painting and just hurried to finish the rest of it. I am completely left brained. I didn't inherit any artistic ability.






1 comment:

  1. Oh, the joys of being a newlywed! It's so fun, but a bit of a hard adjustment. My husband was sick for like the first 4 months we were married...I thought he was allergic to me (although now I think it was because I was teaching elementary school and bringing home kid germs he wasn't used to). Good luck with everything, and hang in there! Sounds like you got a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete