9.28.2012

Summer in Review

And yet again, despite my promise in my previous post, here is another summary blog post because my summer was much too busy for me to sit down and update this on a regular basis. So here we go...a story of our first full summer as a married couple...

May

To kick of the summer the right way, my cousin Mary and I decided to plan a camping trip to Moab. We ended up in a small cabin, perfect size for the 6 of us that went, and we spent the weekend hiking around in Arches National Park. I had yet to see the famous arch yet, so it was an awesome fun experience. We had blast spending time with the Finleys: Mary, Leland, and Sean, as well as my sister Erin who was luckily able to tag along.

June

I started my internship at the very beginning of the month and that pretty much consumed my life for the next 10 weeks. I only worked 40 hours a week, despite the typical accounting stereotype of 70 hour weeks, but unfortunately being a newly married...and kinda poor....couple, we only have 1 car. So 1 car equals an hour bus ride to the trax station and then another 35 minutes to the office. And then at the end of the day I got to turn around and do the same commute again. It got old, really fast. But on the bright side, I did finally overcome my carsickness because I was determined to do something productive like reading during the 2 hour commute.

Quite the feat...we fit about 20 people in our small apt
Despite my busy schedule, we did have some fun. On my b-day I came home to find my very own surprise party! I had never had one before, and I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the surprise thing. Haha, I may have almost punched my newly acquired cousin Cory in the face when he jumped out from behind my door. But, it was awesome to have all my friends and family come over and show how much they love me. And the best part, all 3 sets of my parents and Nathan decided to pitch in to buy me a keyboard. I was so excited! I had been complaining about not being able to practice piano for months, so I have loved having it.
Two of my favorite boys.
Cory and Leland playing with the little ones

July

July consisted of more working at Deloitte. We did start the month of right with an awesome 4th of July. I let Nathan splurge on some pretty big aerial fireworks and we had one of my most memorable holidays over at the Bramall's house. I had never seen aerial fireworks like that up close and I would have to say I enjoy them a lot more than just going to the Stadium of Fire to watch from afar. So I think it will definitely have to be a tradition we keep up.

I also got the opportunity to go to Deloitte University for intern training. Its basically this huge multi-million dollar resort that Deloitte built to send its employees to all year long for training in Dallas, Texas. It was a big, fun party all weekend with a bunch of college interns. There were about 15 of us from Utah and I'm pretty sure we had a much different party experience than the rest of the group, but it was still a lot of fun. Unlimited delicious food and all kinds of activities. Almost like a cruise for work.


August

We celebrated our 1 year anniversary!! To commemorate the awesome occasion we went up to Park City for the weekend and just enjoyed being together without any of the normal everyday worries. We spent way too much at the outlets and eating out and enjoyed every minute of it. Nathan went down the Alpine Slide for the first time and asked me why I hadn't told him about it sooner because he had a blast. (And he won't admit to this but I totally beat him down the slide.)

Please ignore the men's sunglasses...I seem to have misplaced mine...

I also finished up my internship the second week of August and I excitedly accepted a full time offer as a tax accountant for Deloitte Tax starting next summer of 2013! I can't wait to start my real life career and life after school is out in April.

To end our summer we headed up to Spokane for about 2 weeks to spend some much needed time with Nathan's family. We spent a few days in Montana at Glacier National Park hiking around and seeing the absolutely gorgeous sites. If anyone ever has the opportunity to visit, I would most definitely recommend it. Its one of those places that just makes you stop and think about how great God really is, because he took the time to create such a beautiful place for us to live. The water is perfectly clear, but absolutely freezing. I did get brave on the last day though and jumped straight in.
The beautiful, freezing, glacier water


So now we are back in school and work mode and just as busy as ever. I miss the summer days of seeing my husband for more than a couple hours, but this will do for now. I love my life, we love our life, and wouldn't change a thing.

1 comment:

  1. YAY ! You jumped on the Blog ban wagon!!! Now I can hear what your up to (: Miss ya and it sounds like a fun summer

    ReplyDelete