6.12.2013

Life Changes

For most of you who actually take the time to read about our usually uninteresting but still enjoyable to us life, the fact that we moved to Spokane, Washington probably isn't news. But for those who didn't know, surprise! When Deloitte gave me the option to defer my start date until January, Nathan and I decided to move up North for a few months and enjoy all that this area has to offer. I was just tossing ideas around awhile back while noting that we had absolutely nothing tying us down for a little bit. No school for me, no kids, not even an apartment lease that we were signed into. Little did I know that would start something stirring in Nathan's brain. Until he came to me with a proposition. He pointed out that Washington has a higher minimum wage and unlike Utah actually pays servers minimum wage rather than $2 something an hour. So he would be making the same amount in tips, potentially more since Utah eaters tend to be stingy with their gratuities, and substantially more in base wages. He wouldn't quite be making up my missing salary if we decided to go and I left my job, but his offer to let me stay home and focus on studying for this nasty CPA exam rather than studying and working was just too good for me to pass up. So here we are in Spokane. A quick month, a drop off ride to Boise and back, and an incredibly boring 11 hour car ride by myself later.

Life hasn't been that exciting since we got here. Nathan is still searching for a job and getting a little frustrated. Luckily we don't have any major expenses so we have enough money to make it by for a little while. Surprisingly I'm not too worried about it. I had an extremely hard time agreeing to make the move up here. Simply because it was against everything ingrained in me to leave my comfortable job at Novell that I have been at for the last five years without knowing for a fact that we had another job in Washington. We were giving up two sources of income that were guaranteed for one that we might potentially find. But after many nights of prayer and a temple session, it was made very clear to me that this was the right place for us right now.Who knows why, but I do know we made the right choice to move for a few months and I know we will find a job soon.

I have been spending my days studying and sleeping in. I have had a job since the day I graduated high school and I don't remember the last time I had so much freedom in deciding how my day would go. I am absolutely loving it. I think I deserve a good break after my last intense five years. I get to run around with the dogs, hang out with my husband exponentially more than I have been able to in the past, and just pause to enjoy life. Except for those few and random moments where I happen to accidentally clock my husband in the eyebrow with a seven iron. Those moments aren't enjoyed as much. I think that was the first time I have heard my husband use, well, a not so nice word. Haha obviously he is a much better person than me! So let this be a lesson to all, do not stand close behind your wife when she is practicing her ridiculously awesome and strong golf swing. Luckily the cut is healing nicely and didn't require any stitches. It was extremely swollen the first few days but has since gone down and Nathan just looks like he is wearing some really dark eye shadow and liner. I would like to point out my awesome aiming skills though. Nathan was wearing his glasses while we were playing and I swung and hit not more than an inch above the glasses, avoiding a situation that could have been much, much worse. Thank goodness for those guardian angel moments.


1 comment:

  1. wow. I've missed out on keeping up! YOU MOVED! Surprise for me. :) I hope to hear a lot more about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete