2.17.2013

One time, I rescued a bird.

The other morning started out just like any other morning. I woke up, let the dog out and got some breakfast before going to let her back in. When I called her name to have her come back inside, she didn't run in like she normally does. So after five minutes of trying to find her, Akaya came walking up to me holding something in her mouth. It had just snowed so it looked like she had a big chunk of ice or snow in her mouth. But when she got up to me, she dropped a big white pigeon at my feet. (I thought it was a dove, but I have since been proven wrong. I didn't know there were pure white pigeons.) I'm almost positive she wasn't the one that originally caught it because of the gentle way she was carrying it. It was almost like she was trying to take care of it. I know, I'm probably giving my dog a little too much credit. But later, Nathan found a trail of blood on the front porch which made it look like the bird had been hurt, then flew into our front door, which is where Akaya found her.



Anyways, long story short: Nathan went outside after an hour and the bird was still sitting in the same spot. So he put it in our old bunny cage, brought the cage inside, went and bought some bird food, and now we have a pet bird until its wing heals so it can fly. At least we are hoping its wing will heal. It seems to be getting better every day. Except I think the bird has now become so accustomed to its spoiled life that it will never fly away.

But now I can check another item off my bucket list: rescue a hurt bird and nurse it back to health. For some reason I have always had that desire since I was a kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment